The Liberal Democrats must think people are stupid! No one will be fooled by Nick Clegg’s phoney apology on the eve of his Party conference. It is neither genuine nor heartfelt. It is nothing more than a cynical attempt to protect his perilous and weak leadership.
People have made their mind up about him, the weak Liberal Democrats, and their broken promises. This is their Government and they should take responsibility for it.
Responsibility for this Government’s failure
The Lib Dems have not been a brake on this Government. Whatever their claims, they can’t avoid their responsibility for their weakness and this Tory-led Government failures:
• The longest double-dip recession since the Second World War.
• Tax cuts for millionaires while millions pay more.
• A wasteful, top-down reorganisation of the NHS.
None of these would have happened without Liberal Democrat support.
Responsibility for their broken promises
And they are responsible for their broken promises:
• The trebling of tuition fees, that they said they would scrap.
• The rise in VAT they said they would stop.
• The 15,000 cut to police numbers, that they promised would be a 3,000 increase.
The public don’t want apologies; they want politicians that keep their word.
Once again next week the Party which called for honest politics will be trying to pull the wool over people’s eyes. At their conference, the Lib Dems will try and spin a long list of claims:
• They will say they are holding David Cameron back, but in truth they are propping him up.
• They will say they are different from the Conservatives, but they have backed David Cameron all the way.
• They will say they are progressive, but they are hitting the poorest hardest.
• They will say they are mending the economy, but things are getting worse not better.
Labour will continue to hold the duplicitous Liberal Democrats to account for their failure in government and their broken promises to the British people.